May 3, 2011

Tuesday Randomness

Hello all, Kara here, the new blog gal for SPS!!Today I will like to let everyone know (if you already don't know) that May is Cystic Fibrosis awareness month. CF is a big deal to me, as I am living with this disease. So this month I am doing all I can to make people aware of this life threatening disease. I linked you up to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation website so you can read all about CF. Now I am going to post some facts about CF.

Are you aware that every single day a baby is born with Cystic Fibrosis? 1 in every 3000 live births is diagnosed with CF. Are you aware also that every single day a person with CF dies? Is that ok with you?
Are you aware that CF is the most common, deadly, genetic killer of children and young adults, attributing to 484 deaths per year, 40 per month, 9 deaths per week, and one death each and every day?
Are you aware that a median predicted age for someone diagnosed with CF is mid 30’s? Is that a long enough life to you?
Are you aware that if you are in a room of 100 people, statistically there will be 5 symptomless, unknowing carriers for this devastating disease? That’s more than 12 million Americans.
CF is not a faceless disease.

I lost my brother to this disease almost 5 years ago, and since then I am doing all I can to make people aware, this is not a disease to take lightly. I fight daily to live, I end up in the hospital about every 2 months. I have had surgeries to save my life, and have had many close calls to death. So please take a few minutes out of your day to read about CF. Also, purple is the color for CF (my favorite color) all this month I am trying to wear purple in some way to show my support. I wear purple silly bands daily, my nails are painted purple, and I am hoping to get purple extentions in my hair soon. I'd love to see a picture of you showing your support, so post us a pic of you wearing purple in some way. I hope everyone has a great day!

Kara

1 comment:

  1. Great information and thank you so much for sharing with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete